Thursday, March 24, 2011


So, funny story...

I am such a lunatic that I rushed to the post office right after work on Tuesday, then straight to my mom's to put our chimichungas for my sister's birthday in the oven just so I could run to JcPenney real quick because OPI Nail Polish was BOGO1/2OFF. You know, because I am in desperate need for nail polish. Obviously.

I grabbed my youngest sister and in three quick jerks of my poor little steering wheel, we had landed in the parking lot. I darted to the back of the store where the salon (and nail polish) are located. Al was close behind. Kathryn, the birthday girl, met us up there about a minute later and we all scoured the racks of the new Texas Collection as well as some permanent shades. I was so excited I didn't even let the pushy (and clearly bored-out-of-her-mind) sale's associate bother me. After about 14 minutes of picking polishes up, putting them down, picking them up again, and convincing myself that I in fact, do not have the exact same shades already at home, I found the two #winners.

I had chosen two from the Texas Collection, the first one a jelly shade called Big Hair, Big Nails. The second (and the whole reason for this lengthy post) was a gorgeous baby blue with silver micro-shimmer named I Vant to be A-Lone Star. It was unlike anything else I'd owned. It was perfect.

My sisters both purchased two of their own favorites, one of Al's happened to be I Vant to be A-Lone Star as well. Both of them also had some of my older polishes they had borrowed to return to me. It was like Christmas.

After we stuffed our faces and laughed hysterically at our dinner conversations involving the infamous Aunt Wendy, pretended we didn't eat a giant piece of cheesecake, and watched Kathryn open gifts on what seemed to be the longest lasted birthday in history, it was finally time to go home. Since it had been pouring rain, I put all my bags and purses, leftovers, change of clothes and everything else I had brought on me so I'd only have to make one trip to the car. [This really doesn't have anything to do with rain, I despise making more than one trip-ever.] As I was dumping everything into my car, I felt one bag slip out of my hands. Was it my bag of dirty work clothes? No. How about the sealed Tupperware with Mexican food enclosed? Nope. It was my bag of nail polishes!

I didn't think anything of it until i got in the car and started smelling a very strong, very distinct chemical smell. I knew, at that time, that something awful had happened. Please don't let it be one of the new bottles. PLEASE dont' let it be one of the new bottles. It was I Vant to be A-Lone Star.
I Vant to be A-Lone Star

I sprinted in the house and immediately started grabbing the non-broken polishes. Note: putting bottles covered in wet nail polish under cold water only makes it dry faster. Kathryn and I stood at the counter with the nail polish remover, cleaning off 8 or 9 bottles, trying to avoid the shards of glass that were nearly invisible. Thank goodness she was there, I needed the support.

Luckily, I'm a genius and I asked Al if I could "borrow" her bottle so I could at least get some swatches and a week's mani out of it. Good idea, me.

So there it is. The sad, sad tale of the nail polish that might have been. Traumatic I tell ya. But the poor little bottle is better off, I like to think she's on a farm somewhere, where she can roam free with all the other broken polishes.


  1. This made me sad to read lol. Poor polish! and that is the colour I have been eyeing at the store!!

    - Tracey

  2. OMG!!
    It's hilarious.Really sorry about your polish but the way you tell the story is very funny.
    Love your videos